Thursday 14 October 2010

Citrus Pomanders

The autumn chill has descended upon us and my instinct at this time of year is to prepare for the festive season. Some people will panic and think "That's months away" whilst others will be saying "I've had everything organised since June." I think the World can be split into how you prepare for Christmas... months in advance or totally last minute. I don't believe it's a split of the sexes either, it's not that easy. Anyway, I digress, pomanders need to be made at about this time so they can dry out in time for filling the home with their spicy aroma for Christmas celebrations.
Pomanders have been used around the house for centuries. Whilst I'm making them I feel as though I'm touching the past, knowing that millions of women before me have done the same to keep wardrobe beasties away from textiles and clothing.

These are so easy to make - all you're doing is sticking cloves into an citrus fruit, but there are a few pointers that will the process much easier. The best thing about making pomanders is the gorgeous mingling of orange, clove, cinnanmon and nutmeg smells that can instigate a aromatic trance.


What do I need?
Citrus fruit(s)
Rubber bands
Whole cloves
Tablespoon of cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves for each fruit
A paper bag for each fruit

What do I do?
Put two elastic bands around the fruit in a cross - you can use any citrus fruit, although orange is my favourite. This is where you'll put the ribbon once the fruit has dried out, so if you're going to use a wide ribbon, leave a wide gap. If you're not going to hang the pomander up, but fill a bowl with them then leave this bit out. Now, all you need to do is fill the the outside of the fruit by pushing cloves into the skin. The cloves need to be close together, but not touching. Put a tablespoon of cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves into a paper bag (don't, under any misguidance use a plastic bag). Some people add a few drops of sandlewood to the spice mixture to help preserve the fruit, but to be honest I don't bother and let the cloves work their own magic. Pop the cloved fruit into the bag with the spice mixture, give it a good shake so the fruit is completely covered in spicey loveliness and then leave in a dry place. Shake the fruit in the spices every day for a week (if you can remember, I often forget and there's no big disaster) and leave it to fully dry out for about 6 weeks. If the fruit goes mouldy, throw it away, we're not undertaking a study of penicillin here. You'll know it's ready when it feels light and looks like dried out fruit (amazing, I know). When your fruit has magically turned into a pomander, shake off the remainder of the spices, tie a ribbon around it and hang it up wherever you please. Christmas jolliness will ensue.

No comments:

Post a Comment